Types of extensions
Boutique have researched the market extensively and trialled many different application methods based on their benefits, characteristics, and reliability with our clients’ needs in mind.
· Fusion – (Strand by Strand) – This is a process done strand by strand in which the extension is attached directly to your hair (fused) by a heated keratin resin bond.
In the basic fusion method the cut ends of about 25-50 strands of human extension hair have a warm protein glue applied all around it by dipping in a molten pot of resin (or by means of a glue gun which heats and melts the glue stick). Using a plastic protector plate to isolate the portion of natural hair from the rest of the scalp, the glued extension hair is then attached to a similar portion of the client’s hair which has been pulled through the hole in the template. The two lots of hair are rolled together between the fingers until a smooth protein bond is made. Then work begins on another strand. This procedure is long and tedious. The procedure must be performed on super clean hair that is free from greasiness and conditioners.
· Pre Tipped Fusion (I-Tip and Nail Prebonded) – This process is similar to the basic fusion method except that the ends of the hair strands comes Pre-tipped with the protein glue which melt with heat. This method delivers one of the most versatile and believable weaves on the market.The Pretipped extension strands are bonded in much the same way with a heated hair connector tool (fusion iron) that fuses the pre-tipped glue on to a selected strand of the client’s natural hair foe a truly authentic look. This method is a preferred method as being pre-glued, the process is faster and the end result is more uniform with a reduced possibility of cracking or chipping, hence giving a better bond. You can wash and style your hair every week as desired. This method of adding hair extensions is the most time consuming and may take anything from 6 to10 hours to apply. It is fairly expensive too with prices varying from $500 to $1500 depending on style and amount of hair added.
· Micro Ring (micro loop) – This method of extensions uses no glue, no heat, no remover and if applied properly will not damage the hair. With this method, a strand of the clients hair is pulled through the micro ring with a special latch needle. A strand of extension hair is inserted through the same micro ring and the later is pressed firmly with a dedicated pair of pliers to lock the hair firmly inside the ring. The process is repeated till a row is complete. The pressed rings lie flat against the head. No glue is used with this method. Alternatively the client’s hair is pulled through a micro ring (on to which the strand of hair extension is already attached) by a micro loop and locked into place as above.
· Clip in hair – This method is the least permanent form of extensions. They are made from individual strips of hair. The strips are made of varying widths from 2 - 8 inches and has micro clips sewn into them. Typically there are between 5 and 8 strips in each set of clip-ins. Usually starting at the nape of the neck, the hair is sectioned accordingly then the clip-in is placed onto this section with the clips open and facing the scalp.The pressure sensitive clips are then clipped into your own hair and snapped into place. This is repeated until each clip-in weft is in place.Once in place they are hidden, secure and natural looking. Clip in extensions come in a variety of colours and be worn in combinations. It is usual to style both your own hair and the hair extensions before fitting them to your head. Clip in hair can be worn both day and night for all occasions but must be removed before sleeping.
These are the easiest method of extensions, they are instant and can be fitted at home in a matter of minutes with no help from a hairdresser.
· Skin Weft hair – This method uses the wefts similar to clip- in extensions (minus the clips). These usually come on four foot lengths of human hair attached to a strip of skin, which can be cut to various lengths to suit the clients head shape. Such wefts can be glued to the hair just below the hair partings using special extensions glue or adhesive tapes.